The Kylux AU that no one asked for
Jan. 25th, 2019 09:07 pmI'm posting my latest Kylux fic "Never Cry Elk" sometime in the next 24 hours. (Update: It's up - read it here) I wrote this for NaNoWriMo in 2018, except for the last chapter. I had it outlined and in November, I decided I didn't need it. When I started edits, I realized I put in a few sentences that kinda work better with the last chapter. So that isn't written yet, and there's still some at least one section in one of the last chapters that needs some work, but hopefully that's done by the time I'm ready to post.
Anyway, I'm writing all this for a couple of reasons. Mostly to give some background on the fic. Because it's a little weird. This was a dumb idea that I came up with about four or five years ago. At the time, I was volunteering at a museum to prepare vertebrate specimens. The museum collects all kinds of dead animals for research purposes. In the past, they'd collect specific things. These days, it's mostly just whatever someone happens to find dead somewhere and brings in. They also get a lot of things from wildlife rehab centers. So this fic came about when I was working on a squirrel and it was pretty obvious it was killed by a BB gun. And I just thought, "Hey, I have the address of where this squirrel came from. I could probably figure out who did it. And kick their ass."
If you're reading this after the first chapter, then that all probably sounds familiar.
At the time, the other volunteers and I were discussing that we could do a "small animal CSI" thing. I never planned on writing anything for it until one day I was thinking I'd like to write a Kylux fic where one or both of them have my job. I work in wildlife education, where I care for injured animals that can't be released to the wild and take them out for educational purposes. And I could really see that sort of thing working for Kylo, but I was struggling with just where Hux fit in with it all. Until I remembered "small animal CSI" and suddenly, everything clicked together. So we have Hux, who is basically the small animal CSI guy, and Kylo, who works at a rehab and education center.
So that's how we all ended up with this oddly specific AU.
The other reason I'm writing this is because I'm not entirely sure where it takes place. Somewhere in North America. I was thinking Colorado, my home state, but I don't actually specify where they are. But I do mention a lot of different animals in this fic, so that will probably narrow it down. So as I post chapters, I'm going to see just where this fic could possibly take place by comparing the ranges of the animals mentioned.
So in the first chapter, the only animals mentioned are squirrels and rabbit (this is most of what came in to the museum as well), which of course, are found everywhere. Fortunately, I did specifically mention a species - the eastern fox squirrel (Sciurus niger). Their range is shown in blue below and they've been introduced in the general areas highlighted in red. I only had state and province names for those so I just guessed.

I don't mention anything specific again until chapter four, so I'll have another map when that's up. I might talk more about this AU in the meantime because I have a lot to say about wildlife.
I'll update this with a link to the first chapter whenever I get it posted.
Update: Here's the fic on AO3
Anyway, I'm writing all this for a couple of reasons. Mostly to give some background on the fic. Because it's a little weird. This was a dumb idea that I came up with about four or five years ago. At the time, I was volunteering at a museum to prepare vertebrate specimens. The museum collects all kinds of dead animals for research purposes. In the past, they'd collect specific things. These days, it's mostly just whatever someone happens to find dead somewhere and brings in. They also get a lot of things from wildlife rehab centers. So this fic came about when I was working on a squirrel and it was pretty obvious it was killed by a BB gun. And I just thought, "Hey, I have the address of where this squirrel came from. I could probably figure out who did it. And kick their ass."
If you're reading this after the first chapter, then that all probably sounds familiar.
At the time, the other volunteers and I were discussing that we could do a "small animal CSI" thing. I never planned on writing anything for it until one day I was thinking I'd like to write a Kylux fic where one or both of them have my job. I work in wildlife education, where I care for injured animals that can't be released to the wild and take them out for educational purposes. And I could really see that sort of thing working for Kylo, but I was struggling with just where Hux fit in with it all. Until I remembered "small animal CSI" and suddenly, everything clicked together. So we have Hux, who is basically the small animal CSI guy, and Kylo, who works at a rehab and education center.
So that's how we all ended up with this oddly specific AU.
The other reason I'm writing this is because I'm not entirely sure where it takes place. Somewhere in North America. I was thinking Colorado, my home state, but I don't actually specify where they are. But I do mention a lot of different animals in this fic, so that will probably narrow it down. So as I post chapters, I'm going to see just where this fic could possibly take place by comparing the ranges of the animals mentioned.
So in the first chapter, the only animals mentioned are squirrels and rabbit (this is most of what came in to the museum as well), which of course, are found everywhere. Fortunately, I did specifically mention a species - the eastern fox squirrel (Sciurus niger). Their range is shown in blue below and they've been introduced in the general areas highlighted in red. I only had state and province names for those so I just guessed.

I don't mention anything specific again until chapter four, so I'll have another map when that's up. I might talk more about this AU in the meantime because I have a lot to say about wildlife.
I'll update this with a link to the first chapter whenever I get it posted.
Update: Here's the fic on AO3
no subject
Date: 2019-01-26 07:46 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2019-01-26 02:19 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2019-01-26 10:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2019-01-26 08:12 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2019-01-26 02:21 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2019-06-25 11:00 pm (UTC)I hadn't really read the notes before, so this is the first time I've been to this dw entry. Now that I've read it, I'm really excited to read the story! It's totally jumping the queue. :)
So cool that you've also got the accompanying dw entries for each chapter! Cool cool cool.
I'm not a good commenter, but I'll try.
:)